1.09.2013

Whole 30: Chorizo, Sweet Potato & Kale Chip Hash

Yesterday was the day the carb cravings kicked in. I almost teared up at the sight of a cake pop in Starbucks. So small and harmless. This morning, I awoke with a deep need for cheese grits. But, I powered through. Had a big ass salad for lunch. As dinner neared, I tried to convince friends to go out to eat with me so that I didn't have to face my kitchen. 

Luckily, what I threw together was fantastic - spicy, salty and sweet - which assuaged my evil carb-loving internal monologue. Here's what I did to create an uber paleo-friendly chorizo, sweet potato and kale chip hash:

Chorizo, Sweet Potato and Kale Chip Hash
Chorizo, Sweet Potato & Kale Chip Hash
Ingredients:

  • Chorizo (I got mine from Eco-Friendly Farms at Dupont Circle Farmers Market), serving size about the size of your palm
  • Sweet potato, serving size half a sweet potato diced per person
  • 1/4 onion, diced
  • Kale, two stems, diced with bottom of the stem discarded
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Directions:

  1. Drizzle olive oil in skillet on medium to medium-high heat. Add onions and cook a minute or two until they start to become translucent.
  2. Add the diced sweet potatoes and cook four to five minutes. (Try to not flip them during this to get a nice caramelization going.) Shift sweet potatoes to the edge of the skillet, making a center well.
  3. Add kale in center well and cook four to five minutes. Swish all of the ingredients together and then make another center well. (You want the kale to get a light coating of olive oil so that it becomes slightly crunchy). Add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Add the chorizo in the center of the pan. Crumble with wooden spoon. Cook four to five minutes (again, don't flip it, allow it to caramelize) and then swish all of the ingredients together.
  5. Taste one of the sweet potatoes to make sure it's cooked well enough. If go, serve and eat - if not, let it cook a minute or two more until it's complete.

Got a paleo-friendly recipe that I should try? Leave me the link in the comments or tweet me @floridagirlindc.

No comments: